University of Alabama Percussion Camp
Friday, April 27 and Saturday, April 28, 2018
*You are responsible for providing your own transportation to campus and your own lodging.
**This year we will be requiring a registration fee of $35. That fee is required of returning members and freshmen and transfer students.
***If you would like to submit a video for evaluation prior to the camp, please email a request for access to Neal Flum’s UABox at:
- MDB Percussion Pre-Camp schedule (now available)
- MDB Percussion Pre-Camp helpful info form (to be posted in Facebook Group)
- dashboard parking pass (tab)
- Equipment: We will provide all drums, stands, and cymbals. You may bring your own snare and tenor sticks, if you like. We’ll provide bass drum mallets. We will also provide all keyboard instruments and mallets. There’s no need for you to bring any instruments.
We have a Facebook page: “MDB Percussion Section 2018.” You can ask questions, meet other students, and find other relevant information for the camp.
To ask to become a member, please go to:
Change: instead of using Slack, we will use Remind as our secondary means of communication for our marching percussion camp (April 27 and 28, 2018). If after
the camp you earn membership into the marching band, then this Remind will
become our means of communication for marching band-related activities.
I’m using Remind to send important updates, assignments, and information for MDB Percussion Section 2018. Please click on the link below to join our class. (For reference, our class code is @mua153m.)
Thanks for joining!
Mr. N. Flum
P.S. Remind is a free, safe, and easy way for me to reach you with important information. Want to learn more? Go here: https://help.remind.com/hc/en-us/articles/201342445. If you have any questions about any of the above-offered info or would like to arrange for an extra-help session in working on your performance skill-sets and/or audition materials, please contact me at:
office: (205) 348 – 9440
cell: (205) 239 – 0336
email: Neal Flum
Instruments for which you can audition and the audition/camp packets:
*Packets are updated for 2018
- snare drum: Snare 2018 MDB Percussion Camp Packet
- multi-tenors: Multi-Tenors 2018 MDB Percussion Camp Packet
- bass drums: Bass Drums 2018 MDB Percussion Camp Packet
- cymbals: Cymbals 2018 MDB Percussion Camp Packet
- front ensemble: Front Ensemble 2018 MDB Percussion Camp Packet
Additional Percussion Camp Materials (required):
Sound Files for Audition Packets:
*Sound files are updated for 2018.
- MDB Triplet Strokes: sound file (8 clicks precede start of exercise)
- 1/4 note = 126, 1/4 note = 136, 1/4 note = 146
- MDB Basics: sound file (8 clicks precede start of exercise, clicks in between A, B, and C)
- 1/4 note = 120
- MDB Basic Strokes: sound file (8 clicks precede start of exercise)
- 1/4 note = 80, 1/4 note = 86, 1/4 note = 92
- MDB Stick Control: sound file (8 clicks precede start of exercise)
- 1/2 note = 70, 1/2 note = 90
- MDB Accent to Tap: sond file (8 clicks precede start of exercise)
- 1/4 note = 116, 1/4 note = 126, 1/4 note = 136
- MDB Triplet Sequencing: sound file (8 clicks precede start of exercise)
- 1/4 note = 140, 1/4 note = 150, 1/4 note = 160
- MDB Flams: sound file (8 clicks precede start of exercise)
- 1/4 note = 110, 1/4 note = 118, 1/4 note = 126
- MDB Cadence 2018: (8 clicks precede start of cadence)
- 2018 cadence 1/4 note = 98
- 2018 cadence 1/4 note = 104
- 2018 cadence 1/4 note = 110
- 2018cadence 1/4 note = 116
Extra Help materials (these documents are password protected. You
can find the password in our Facebook Group):
Exercises, Cadence, Etc.
Cheers, Pre-Game, Stand Tunes, Shorties
Sound files for the first halftime show:
Million Dollar Band 2017 Percussion Staff:
- Neal Flum, director and battery arranger
- TBA, front ensemble instructor and arranger
Million Dollar Band Percussion Consultants/Adjunct Instructors:
- Thom Hannum
- Colin McNutt
- Iain Moyer
- Alex Beltran
- Andrew Ricketts
The University of Alabama Percussion Section is proud to use the equipment/products of: