2017-2018 MILLION DOLLAR BAND
WOODWIND & BRASS AUDITIONS
FOR ALL NEW-POTENTIAL
WOODWIND AND BRASS MEMBERS ONLY
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
To become a member of The University of Alabama Million Dollar Band, students must have been accepted to The University of Alabama. Once you have been accepted, the University will assign you with a Campus Wide Identification number (CWID) along with a Crimson/UA email address. Additionally, students must meet the following requirements:
- ALL potential Million Dollar Band members MUST audition prior to May 1, 2017. All new and returning students must audition for membership into the Million Dollard Band during the Spring semester.
- Must register for the marching band class (MUA 153/253/353/453) BUT ONLY AFTER you have received notification that you passed the audition and have received membership into the Million Dollar Band (after May 1, 2017). Please be aware that these registration requirements will be verified prior to the first day of Fall Camp.
- Must be working toward a degree as demonstrated by either:
- registering for at least nine hours for the Fall semester at The University of Alabama
- registering for at least twelve hours for the Fall semester at Shelton State University while registered for MUA 153/253/353/453 as a part-time student at The University of Alabama
- Potential returning members must be in good financial standing with University Bands and The University of Alabama, including taking care of all uniform fees, equipment fees, class fees or other charges incurred in prior membership
- Must be selected for membership by audition
- Must complete and have on record with University Bands Office, the 2017 MDB Medical Form (available July 1, 2017). Please bring this completed form with you to Fall Camp Check-In. DO NOT MAIL IN YOUR MEDICAL FORMS!!!
Audition Procedures: STEP BY STEP
- STEP #1 – All potential Million Dollar Band members must audition prior to May 1, 2017. Register for your 2017-2018 audition by clicking the following link: 2017 Million Dollar Band Audition Online Registration Form. You must have been accepted to The University of Alabama and received a CWID along with a Crimson/UA email address before you can register as a 2017 MDB Prospective Member. It should be noted that registering for the 2017-2018 audition database does not guarantee membership into 2017-2018 Million Dollar Band. Please make sure you select the correct instrument (you will not be able to change your instrument once you click ‘Submit’).
- STEP #2 – All potential NEW members must submit a Letter of Recommendation from your current band director (or former director if you are not currently in high school) on official band or school letterhead. LETTERS SHOULD BE ATTACHED TO AN EMAIL AND SENT TO HEATH NAILS, UNIVERSITY BANDS PROGRAM ASSISTANT AT email@example.com. LETTERS MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE UNIVERSITY BANDS OFFICE PRIOR TO YOUR AUDITION. You will not be allowed to audition if we do not have a letter of recommendation on file in the University Bands Office. PLEASE HAVE YOUR DIRECTOR/MUSIC TEACHER COMPLETE AN OFFICIAL LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ON SCHOOL LETTERHEAD AND SEND VIA EMAIL OR REGULAR MAIL! Letters of Recommendation can also be mailed to the University Band Office but must arrive prior to your audition. Students will not be allowed to audition for the Million Dollar Band until a letter of recommendation has been received by the University Bands Office. Have your director email or mail your letter DIRECTLY to us at the following address after February 1, 2017:
Emailed letters to:
Mailed letters to:
University of Alabama Bands
ATTN: MDB Letter of Recommendation
2007 Moody Music Building, Box 870368
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
- STEP #3 – Prepare for your audition. Each component of the band has its own audition process. For woodwind and brass instruments, auditions will contain two parts: sight-reading etudes (provide in the audition room) and a prepared etude. Click on the appropriate instrument below to download the audition prepared etude for your 2017-2018 Million Dollar Band audition. Please note that anyone interested in becoming a member of the Million Dollar Band must complete an audition. It also should be noted, that not all who audition, will be accepted. No University Bands equipment will be provided for your audition. You must bring your own instrument to the audition. Please adhere to all marked tempos on the prepared etudes! Audition etudes will be available for download by February 6, 2017.
- STEP #4 – Select a date for your audition. To schedule a day and time for your audition, please click on a date listed below. You will be redirected to the audition scheduler webpage. ALL NEW POTENTIAL MEMBERS MUST audition on Saturday’s ONLY. Complete the audition schedule registration. All times are Central Standard Time! Once the audition day is filled, the date will close. NO ONE WILL BE ADDED ONCE AN AUDITION DAY HAS BEEN FILLED AND CLOSED. Do not wait to sign up for an audition day. If you signup for an audition and you do not show, you WILL NOT be allowed to schedule another audition day.
MILLION DOLLAR BAND SCHOLARSHIPS
All students who complete the Million Dollar Band audition process will be considered for Million Dollar Band scholarships. Scholarships will be awarded to students who demonstrate a high proficiency level on their audition and the instrumentation needs of the Million Dollar Band. There is NO separate audition to be considered for scholarship.
After the last audition date (Saturday, April 22, 2017), letters will be emailed (UA issued Crimson email address) to all students who completed the Million Dollar Band audition process, notifying them of membership status and potential scholarship awards.